Frequently Asked Questions


I need a document served; how does it work?

We normally need two copies of the document(s) being served: a copy to serve, and a copy to attach the affidavit to (which will be returned to you). If you only have one copy to send, simply photocopy it. If there are multiple witnesses or defendants, we will need a copy for each person to be served on. You may also include a cover letter with your instructions. I've attached an instruction sheet here to use if you'd like, or as a guide.


What areas in Nova Scotia do you cover?

We personally serve court documents in: Halifax, Dartmouth, Bedford, Lower Sackville, Hammonds Plains and throughout the Halifax Regional Municipality and Hants County. Our satellite territories include Colchester and Pictou. We have a list of contacts for other counties if you scroll down on our home page (keep in mind that these contacts DO NOT work for us).
We also have a list of contacts for the other Atlantic Provinces including: New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, and Newfoundland & Labrador.


The documents I have are of a sensitive nature; can you ensure confidentiality?

Our firm is committed to maintaining confidentiality in all matters. We will not discuss or share your information with anyone or organization. We maintain a strict privacy policy for this site as well.


What if I don't know where the Defendant lives or works?

We offer skiptracing services.


How do I get the documents to you?

If local, (within Halifax, Dartmouth, Bedford, Lower Sackville, Hammonds Plains etc.), we can pick them up or meet with you. If you are sending them from out of town, you may courier them to us or send by regular mail depending on the urgency. Our full mailing address can be found on our contact page.


Is there a travel charge within Halifax, Dartmouth, Bedford or Lower Sackville?

No. Travel charges only apply to areas outside of Halifax, Dartmouth, Bedford, and Lower Sackville.


How do I pay?

Method of payment. We will invoice lawyers and government agencies. For all others, (including international clients), a deposit will have to be sent with the documents. Contact us for a quote or if you have any questions. We accept cash, cheque, Interac (email money transfer), money orders, certified cheques, bank drafts, solicitor's trust cheques and credit cards (through PayPal). Please note: you don't need a PayPal account to pay us by credit card.

credit cardemail money transfer


Will you send me the affidavit?

Once the document(s) are served, we will type up the affidavit of service (a sworn statement telling the court: who, what, when, where and how the party was served) and get it sworn. If a document was issued outside of Nova Scotia, we will get the affidavit notarized by a lawyer. If the documents were issued within Nova Scotia (or Ontario and Quebec), we will get the affidavit sworn by a Commissioner of Oaths. The affidavit will be attached to the document sent back to you. You will need to file the affidavit of service with the court. We can file it for you if local. Let us know.


How long does it usually take to serve someone?

Usually a day or two. We will attempt the day we get the documents and at a time that we reasonably believe the person will be there, and based on the information you give us. It is rare that a document does not get served, unless the individual has moved etc. Service is usually effected within 1 to 3 attempts.


Are you authorized and able to serve a document under the Hague Convention?

Yes, we are authorized to serve documents under the Hague Convention (Convention of 15 November 1965 on the Service Abroad of Judicial and Extrajudicial Documents in Civil or Commercial Matters).


Do you have to be licensed to be a process server or bailiff in Nova Scotia?

Rule 31.04 (1) of the Nova Scotia Civil Procedures Rules states: “A literate person who is not a party, or an officer, director, or employee of a party, may effect personal service in Nova Scotia, at any time, on any day, and at any place.”   However, for lower courts such as Small Claims and Residential Tenancies, a claimant (or someone they know) can serve the claim. I wouldn't recommend this method, and would advise hiring a professional, knowledgeable, neutral process server. We are bailiffs as well as process servers.


What if I have more questions?

Please contact us if you have any questions.